Harm Reduction services emphasize engaging directly with people who use substances to prevent overdose and infectious disease transmission and offer low barrier options for accessing health care services, including substance use and mental health disorder treatment.
Through Outreach Services the MCAVHN team reaches people who aren’t otherwise accessing healthcare services. Outreach is conducted on a scheduled basis serving all areas of Mendocino County; with an emphasis on reaching the more remote communities and tribal entities.
Activities Conducted During Outreach:
- Provide access to clean syringes, accepting syringe returns for safe disposal, and conduct syringe service clean-up in our communities.
- Provide access to injection alternative kits
- Provide Fentanyl and Xylazine test kits and train PWUS in test use
- Testing for Hepatitis C, HIV, link treatment of Hep C to our on-site MAT Clinic, and provide link to HIV treatment
- Counseling support services to assist PWUS well-being
- Provide supply kits for safe use, safe sex, hygiene, wound care, and seasonal needs for unhoused
- County wide distribution, tracking of and training in use of Naloxone/Narcan to prevent overdose
- Linkage to specialty mental health services, In-Patient Recovery, Out-Patient health services, recovery services, housing assistance, shelter support, transportation